- You are here:
- GT Home
What are the requirements to apply for the Georgia Tech-Lorraine program?
Georgia Tech-Lorraine is Georgia Tech's European campus located in Metz, France. We offer semester abroad programs where qualified students can spend one or more semesters on our campus. We are not a degree-granting institution; it is not possible to spend 4 years or earn a degree on our campus.
High school students and international undergraduate or Baccalaureate students not currently enrolled at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta are not eligible to apply to Georgia Tech-Lorraine.
You do not need to speak any French to participate in the Georgia Tech-Lorraine program, unless you are applying to the SLS-France Program.
Georgia Tech Undergraduates
The Georgia Tech-Lorraine program is open to undergraduates of all majors, for the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters.
- Must be at least 18 years of age by the program departure date.
- Minimum 2.5 GPA at time of application.
- In good academic and disciplinary standing at the time you apply and up until departure.
- If after you are accepted, you are placed on academic or disciplinary probation, you will not be able to participate in the program and you will be assessed all fees as outlined in our Cancellation Policy.
- Open to Georgia Tech undergraduates of all majors.
- First-year students starting in the Fall may apply during their first semester for the Summer semester. They will be accepted conditionally, based on achieving a 2.5 GPA in their first semester.
- First-year students only, who do not achieve a 2.5 GPA in their first semester, will be dropped from the program and their $500 will be refunded.
- Students can study through their last semester at Tech - because we are a campus and not study abroad, the 36-hour rule doesn't apply!
Transfer Students (Students transferring to Tech from another university)
Start planning now for Georgia Tech-Lorraine.
- Apply to Georgia Tech-Lorraine as early as the first semester of your studies at Tech, to attend Georgia Tech-Lorraine in your second semester. (any exceptions are noted below)
- Summer transfers can attend Georgia Tech-Lorraine in the Spring semester at the earliest (so, after spending Summer and Fall on campus in Atlanta). Summer transfers interested in studying at Georgia Tech-Lorraine in the Spring, should apply as soon as possible. They could also apply for Summer semester (ie, the Summer semester after the Summer they transferred in) or Fall (not their first Fall on campus, but the following Fall semester).
- Fall transfers can attend Georgia Tech-Lorraine as early as their second semester at Tech. (ie Spring semester) To do so, they should apply as soon as possible for the Spring semester. Transfer students who apply for Spring or Summer, like current Georgia Tech students, will be dropped from the program if they are placed on academic or disciplinary probation before departing for GTL.
- Spring transfers could apply to study at Georgia Tech-Lorraine for the Fall semester at the earliest, as enrollments for Summer will already be closed. (That said, check with us if you would like to go in the Summer. We may be able to get you in after the program closes, if there is space available.)
- Like current Georgia Tech students, transfer students will be dropped from the program if they are placed on academic or disciplinary probation before departing for GTL and the Cancellation Policy applies.
- All other requirements as listed for Georgia Tech undergraduates.
- All transfer students should be mindful of application deadlines. The above notes list when you can "attend" Georgia Tech-Lorraine only.
- If you are unsure if you qualify, please do not hesitate to email Allie Crain with any questions.
Students from other U.S. universities (referred to as transient students)
Georgia Tech-Lorraine welcomes students from other U.S. universities all semesters – Fall, Spring, and Summer.
- Must be at least 18 years of age by the program departure date.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA at time of application.
- In good academic and disciplinary standing.
- Only US citizens and US Permanent Residents (Green Card holders) will be permitted to apply and participate as transient students on the Georgia Tech-Lorraine program. Students from other universities on other types of US visas are NOT permitted to apply
- First-year students may apply during their first semester for the Summer semester. They will be accepted conditionally, based on achieving a 3.0 GPA in their first semester.
- All transient students who apply should make sure they read and understand our Cancellation Policy.
Students who are NOT eligible to study at Georgia Tech-Lorraine (high school students and international undergraduate students not currently enrolled at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta)
Georgia Tech-Lorraine is the European campus of the Georgia Institute of Technology. All admissions to Georgia Tech-Lorraine are handled through Georgia Tech in Atlanta. One cannot apply directly to Georgia Tech-Lorraine.
- There are no direct admissions to Georgia Tech-Lorraine. Georgia Tech-Lorraine is not a degree-granting institution. Students studying at Georgia Tech-Lorraine are working towards a degree granted by Georgia Tech in Atlanta.
- High school students and recent graduates are not eligible to enroll at Georgia Tech-Lorraine.
- Students with a French Baccalaureate (Bac) or a Baccalaureate from any other country are not eligible to enroll at Georgia Tech-Lorraine. (Students with a Baccaulaureate who are currently enrolled at Georgia Tech in Atlanta may apply.)
- Undergraduate students currently enrolled at non-U.S. universities are not eligible to enroll at Georgia Tech-Lorraine.
- Only US citizens and US Permanent Residents (Green Card holders) will be permitted to apply and participate as transient students on the Georgia Tech-Lorraine program. Students from other universities on other types of US visas are NOT permitted to apply.
Notes on Eligibility for ALL Accepted Students
Please make sure you understand the points listed below.
- All students must also adhere to the Georgia Tech Office of International Education’s eligibility guidelines.
- If a student is placed on academic probation, they will no longer be eligible to attend, and our cancellation policy will be enforced.
- If a student is no longer in good disciplinary standing, they will no longer be eligible to attend and our Cancellation Policy will be enforced.
- First-year students who apply for the Summer semester will be accepted conditionally, pending achieving a 2.5 GPA or higher during their first semester at Tech and maintaining a clean disciplinary record. (For transient students, the GPA requirement is minimum of 3.0.)